Six (6) ledgers likely pertaining to Cheek's Cross Roads, Tennessee, or an earlier store, ranging in date from 1779-1877, including one (1) dated circa 1779-1781, beginning with Alexander Bean and ending with Samuel Crawford; one (1) dated circa 1819, beginning with John MacFarlane and ending with Dr. William Kear, with entries for members of the Graham family, including William Graham (see Lot 638); one (1) dated circa 1845-1846, beginning with Samuel(?) Cole and ending with William and Toliver Robinson; one (1) dated circa 1850-1852, beginning with William M. Barton and ending with Josiah Young, lists the names of several family members including Alexander, Dyers, Eckel, and more, includes partial separated marbled paper cover; one (1) dated circa 1848-1855, beginning with John Evans and ending with Thomas Casey, also includes Mexican-American war (1846-1848) related inscriptions regarding land warrants for soldiers, soldier with discharge, and Captain's Certificate written by John J.R. Latey, Captain, 3rd Regiment Tennessee Volunteers, Company G, Knoxville, dated August 29, 1848, includes partial separated grey paper cover; and one (1) dated circa 1867-1877, beginning with Christian Reiff and ending with Charles Cheatham, with entries for F.W. Taylor. The entries show that the store sold a wide variety of goods, including books, dry goods, farm implements, foodstuffs, hardware and tools, equine equipment, housewares, medicines, a few musical instruments, personal care items, and luxury items, including silk gloves. Ranging in size from 5 3/4" H x 7 1/2" W x 5/8" D to 13" H x 8 1/4" W x 1 1/4" D. Provenance: Estate of Anne Harrison Taylor & Joseph F. Taylor, Morristown, TN. Note: Located in what is now Hamblen County, TN, Cheeks Cross Roads was acquired by Jesse Cheek as part of a Hawkins County, TN land grant in 1789 along the intersection of Stage Road coming from Abingdon, VA and Kentucky Road between Kentucky and the Carolinas. He built a general merchandise store in about 1795 that was later expanded to add stock pens for cattle hogs, mules, and horses. The store and all 200 acres of the Cheeks Roads property were purchased by David Deaderick and William Conway, both of Hawkins County, TN, from Jesse Cheek, recorded as being from Jefferson County, TN, on a deed of sale dated November 23, 1801, for the sum of $1800, witnessed by Charles T. Porter and David Wendel. The new owners of the store built a two-story brick structure that opened in 1802 near the original wooden structure. Conway left the partnership in 1804, and David Wendel joined Deaderick, who was operating out of Jonesborough, TN, in the business. Wendel left the partnership in 1817 to move to Murfreesboro, and Deaderick's son, David Anderson Deaderick (1797-1873), took over. The property remained in the Deaderick family after the death of the original David and was operated by his sons. By 1833, it had passed to James William Deaderick (1812-1890), another son of the original David. However, he was not a successful businessman and the Panic of 1837 contributed to the failure of the business. Afterwards, James Deaderick studied law and then served on the Tennessee Supreme Court. In 1844, Franklin W. Taylor bought the property from the Bank of Rogersville and operated the store with a variety of partners, including Hughes O. Taylor and Leeper Long. The brick store built by Deaderick and Conway and remnants of the wooden store built by Cheek were still standing in 1915 when Franklin Taylor showed Mr. McClung and Dr. George Mellon the location of the original Cheek's Cross Roads. While there are currently no visible signs of these early structures, there is a Tennessee Historical Commission marker at the site of the old store. (see: https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/wm57MF_Cheeks_Crossroads_1B_36). CONDITION: Overall good condition with wear, toning, dampstaining, tears, to be expected from age and manner of use.
Lot 636: Early Washington County, East TN Archive, 45 items Previous Item Lot 638: William Graham Early TN Archive, incl. Slave Deed Next Item