SOLD! for $600.00.
(Note: Prices realized include a buyer's premium.)
If you have items like this you wish to consign, click here for more information:Selling with Case
- Low Estimate: $700.00
- High Estimate: $750.00
- Realized: $600.00
- Share this:
Daughters of the American Revolution, Samuel Doak Chapter, Morristown, Tennessee, blue and white grosgrain ribbon with six (6) enameled badges, one (1) 14K and five (5) gold filled, and nine chapter and name pins, six (6) 14K and three (3) gold filled, by J.E. Caldwell and Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 15 pins total. Includes one (1) "Daughters of the American Revolution" 14K wheel and flag pin with inscription reading "Laura S. Feamster Taylor 90436" reverse, one (1) gold filled "Ex-Chapter Regent Samuel Doak," one (1) gold filled"National D.A.R. Vice Chairman," two (2) gold filled "Tennessee DAR Recording Secretary," one (1) for 1971-1974 and one (1) for 1972-1974, and one (1) gold filled "USA Bicentennial DAR 1776-1976" pin, together with nine (9) name pins: one (1) 14K "John Kirkpatrick," one (1) 14K "William Horner," one (1) 14K "Capt. John Wilkins," one (1) 14K "Alexander McDonald," one (1) 14K "Thomas Conway," one (1) 14K "Uriel Crosby," one (1) gold filled "Samuel Doak Chapter," one (1) gold filled "John Alfred," and one (1) gold filled "Samuel Meals." All with maker's marks and 14K or gold filled. Includes two (2) additional blue and white ribbons, one (1) with hooks and stitching. Ranging in size from 6 1/2" L x 1 1/4" W x 12" L x 1 3/4" W.14K pins weigh approximately 21.4 grams. Provenance: Estate of Anne Harrison Taylor & Joseph F. Taylor, Morristown, TN. Note: The wheel and flag pin is inscribed to Laura Ann Feamster Taylor (1860-1947), Morristown, TN, wifeof Franklin Walter "F. W." Taylor (1854-1919), (see Lot 635). Biography: Minister and pioneer Samuel Doak (1749-1830) founded the earliest schools and many of the Presbyterian churches of East Tennessee. The son of Irish immigrants, Doak was born August 1, 1749, in Augusta County, Virginia.Doak married Esther Houston Montgomery of Augusta County in October 1775 and taught at Hampden-Sydney College in the spring of 1776. There he studied theology under Samuel Stanhope Smith, president, and completed his theological training in 1777 at Liberty Hall. In 1778 he settled in Tennessee in Sullivan County and was ordained a minister. In 1780 he moved to Washington County, where he formed Salem Church and a school, which was chartered as St. Martin's Academy in 1783, the first chartered school in the region. In 1795 it became Washington College. Doak's best-known sermon was probably the one delivered at Sycamore Shoals in 1780 as the "Overmountain Men" assembled on their way to defeat British Colonel Patrick Ferguson and his troops at the battle of Kings Mountain. In 1784, he was a delegate to the convention that formed the short-lived State of Franklin. Doak served as president of Washington College (1795-1818) before turning it over to his oldest son, John Whitfield Doak. Esther Doak had died in 1807, and in 1818 he moved with his second wife, Margaretta Houston McEwen, to Tusculum Academy (later Tusculum College) and taught there with his son Samuel W. Doak until his death on December 12, 1830. He is buried at Salem Church. (source: Samuel Doak's entry in the Tennessee Encyclopedia, by E. Alvin Gerhardt, Jr., originally publishedOctober 8, 2017, http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entries/samuel-doak/). CONDITION: Pins in overall good condition with some tarnish. Center diamondwheel and flag pin not present.Areas of light wear, discoloration, and fraying to ribbons.