Abram Maury (1766-1825), early Middle Tennessee settler and founder of Franklin, Tennessee, 1799 signed bond promising to pay James Robertson, Andrew Jackson, William T. Lewis, James Hennen, and John McNairy, Trustees of the Federal Seminary, "the sums annexed to our names for the purpose of building a school house." Dated Feb. 19, 1799. Although it appears other names were intended to follow, Maury's is the only signature on the page. The reverse side is addressed "for A. Jackson Esquire." Single sheet, 9 3/4" x 7 5/8". Note: The Federal Seminary was one of Middle Tennessee's earliest schools of higher education. In 1799 it was consolidated with the Davidson Academy. By 1806 it was known as Cumberland College and by 1826 as the University of Nashville. (Source: "The University of Nashville 1785-1892," published by Marshall & Bruce, 1892). The Trustees of the Federal Seminary addressed in this document were some of the most prominent Tennesseans of the period: James Robertson was an explorer recognized as a founder of Nashville and the Father of Middle Tennessee; Andrew Jackson went on to become President, and Jackson's friend and mentor John McNairy was one of Tennessee's first federal judges. Provenance: the estate of Dr. Benjamin Caldwell, Jr., Nashville, Tennessee. CONDITION: Separations and some light stains at fold lines, a couple of small edge losses, general toning. Previous owner pencil notations. Sticker is on plastic sheath containing this document, not on the paper itself.
Lot 594: "Historic Places in Tennessee", compiled by TN Society DAR Previous Item Lot 596: Catalog of Books in the Nashville Library, 1825, John Overton's copy Next Item