HISTORIC PLACES IN TENNESSEE, a bound collection of photographs, prints and maps compiled by the Tennessee Society of the Daughters of the Revolution (DAR) for the Tennessee room of the DAR Headquarters, Memorial Continental Hall, in Washington, D.C., with seven gelatin silver prints by noted Nashville photographer Marvin Willard Wiles (1882-1957) and hand printed text and hand painted enhanced capital letters with vignette illustrations by Haywood Norman. Title page reads: "Historic Places in Tennessee, Selected and Presented to the Tennessee Room, Memorial Continental Hall, by Penelope Johnson Allen, State Historian, Tennessee Daughters of the American Revolution, November 1923. Inscriptions and Decorations by Haywood Norman". The book is comprised of thirty (30) photographs, illustrations, and two (2) maps, all relating to Tennessee history,each with handwritten information text pages and enhancedcapital letters by Norman. Wiles'photographsinclude images of the front and rear of the Hermitage, Cedar Lane, the gateway to the Hermitage, The Original Hermitage, Belle Meade, the Parthenon, and The Tennessee State Capitol building. Other notable sites and images featured include a facsimile of The Timberlake Map, Tennessee's first "authentic" map, the first church building in TN, President Andrew Johnson's Tailor Shop, Jonesboro, The Boone Tree, John Sevier's Church, and the Cumberland Gap. Housed in a leather bound portfolio with marbleized end pages; wooden title placard to the front cover with hand painted Tennessee state seal. 12" H x 11 3/4" W x 2" D. Biography: Marvin Willard Wiles, son of Mary Elizabeth (nee Cruzen) and Henry G. Wiles, was born in Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. He may have spent some of his childhood in Florence, Alabama, where his father had a business, and reportedly moved to Nashville, Tennessee, in 1895. "M. W. Wiles" and Lessie J. Hood were married on 19 May 1903 in Davidson County, Tennessee. City directories for Nashville through 1908 show him employed as a clerk or salesman, and beginning in 1909 as a photographer. Marvin Wiles opened a photography studio in Nashville in 1910, and took pictures for local newspapers, covering events such as Woodrow Wilson's inauguration and the return of soldiers from WWI. Marvin Wiles entered a partnership with Steve Hood in 1940, creating the Wiles-Hood Studio, and retired in 1954. The Tennessee State Library and Archives has a collection of 60 photographs taken by Marvin Wiles in and around the Nashville area. (source:https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/67955265/marvin-willard-wiles). CONDITION: Cover with overall general wear and losses, chipping to the edges, spine partially detached. Some light shedding. Interior overall good condition with light toning and wear.
Lot 593: Randolph Family of Virginia Archive Previous Item Lot 595: Abram Maury 1799 Bond to build a TN School Next Item