SOLD! for $2,542.00.
(Note: Prices realized include a buyer's premium.)
If you have items like this you wish to consign, click here for more information:Selling with Case
- Low Estimate: $2,000.00
- High Estimate: $2,500.00
- Realized: $2,542.00
- More Information:
For more information on this or any other item, email us at: email@example.com
- Share this:
A silver-gilt dessert spoon purchased by President Andrew Jackson for use in the White House from the Baron de Tuyll service, made by Pierre-Joseph Dehanne of Paris (born 1751, master 1785, active 1806-circa 1820). Oval threaded handle, monogrammed on front "President's House" and engraved with the image of a Federal eagle on reverse, also marked for French First Standard silver and bearing the mark of Dehanne. Circa 1809-1819. 7-1/4"L, 1.67 oz troy. Note: This spoon is part of one of the most storied and well-used silver services used in the White House (known as the "President's House" in the early 19th century). During the 19th century, tableware and other household objects used in the White House were periodically sold off to make way for new furnishings, or sometimes given to supporters after a President left office. According to former White House curator Betty C. Monkman, in December 1833, halfway through President Andrew Jackson's first term, old furniture, glassware, silver and china from the White House were sold at auctions in Washington, DC and Philadelphia. Jackson used the entire proceeds – $4,300 – on a single purchase: a 130 piece collection of fine French silver. The silver, consisting of dinner and dessert services, came from the estate of the Russian Minister to the United States, known as Baron de Tuyll, who had died in 1826. Most of the pieces from the so-called Baron de Tuyll service had been made between 1809 and 1819 by some of the most prominent French silversmiths of the Napoleonic period, including Dehanne and Martin-Guillaume Biennais (who was appointed silversmith to Napoleon and Josephine around 1805). This spoon is part of the set of "dessert flatware of gilded silver" made by Dehanne. An inventory of the President's House was taken the day before Jackson left office, on March 3, 1837, but it has not been located; much of the original Baron de Tuyll silver service remains at the White House, where pieces were used well into the 20th century. (ref. THE WHITE HOUSE: ITS HISTORIC FURNISHINGS AND FIRST FAMILIES by Betty C. Monkman, p. 86-87, 92). Additional photos of marks are available on request. Provenance: Private Arkansas Collection, acquired several decades ago in the St. Louis area. Condition: Overall wear to gilding and wear with some loss of definition to eagle monogram and back of bowl; a few shallow small dents to bowl.