1877 hand drawn and partially colored map of a section of Memphis, Tennessee by Charles Christopher Burke (1815-1901, County Surveyor 1870-1884), depicting numerous city landmarks including the State Female College, and the Bayou Gayosa (buried underground c. 1910 under the area now home to the St. Jude's campus and Danny Thomas Boulevard), McLemore and Race Avenues and Orleans Street. A second section in the same hand shows the Mississippi River and makes reference to Fort Pickering, a Confederate built fort taken over by the Union Army and demolished in 1866. Burke's fee is noted as $210. Maps range in size from 8 1/2" x 12 3/4" W to 8 1/2" x 25". Also included is a hand drawn map of a section of an unknown city (probably not Memphis), glued to board, with each plat showing dollar amounts. Streets listed include Cumberland Street, Fay Street, Sycamore and Oak Streets, Main Street, Water Street and Chestnut Street. 14" x 18 1/2". Provenance: The estate of Dr. Benjamin H. Caldwell, Nashville, Tennessee. CONDITION: Memphis map: Toning, particularly at edges, small corner losses and losses at folds, couple of small pale stains under Burke's signature. Other map: Glued to cardboard, toning and scattered glue burn, edge chipping, tears at folds.
Lot 285: 3 Early Southern and TN Maps, inc. Mero District plus book excerpt Previous Item Lot 287: New Map of Cherokee Nation, uncut from the London Magazine Next Item