East TN stoneware pottery churn having a flared rim and opposing lug handles, stamped "Weaver Bros. Knoxville" and "3" denoting the gallon capacity. Gallon capacity stamp design is very similar to marked Weaver Bro. forms . 13" H. Late 19th century. Note: The Weaver pottery was listed in the Knoxville business directory from 1876-1887 with David Weaver listed as the proprietor and George C. Weaver as a potter ("A Survey of Historic Pottery Making in Tennessee 1979", Division of Archeology, Tennessee Department of Conservation, Smith and Rogers). Provenance: Collection of Dr. Charles and Terry Faulkner. Condition: Scattered chips to rim and inner lip.
Lot 156: 1827 Dated Stoneware Jar, TN Attrib. Previous Item Lot 158: East TN Redware Jug, Cain attrib. Next Item