East Tennessee earthenware pottery jug, lead glaze body with manganese daubed decoration in vertical lines, sine wave incising around upper shoulder, extruded handle, attributed to the Cain pottery of Sullivan Co., TN. 7 1/4" H. 19th century. Note: recognition of the prolific Cain pottery in East Tennessee was noted in published resources as early as 1909, where Oliver Taylor in "Historic Sullivan" states, "Another factory which received national attention was the Cain pottery, located at Emanuel Church, and owned by two brothers, William M. and Abe Cain . . . It was operated about 1840 and, among other wares, souvenir jugs were made, many of which are still in existence." (Research courtesy Carole Wahler.) Condition: Overall very good condition, minor exfoliation to glaze, most likely in the firing.
Lot 147: 2 East TN Greene Co. Jars, extruded handles Previous Item Lot 149: Group East TN stoneware, poss. Grindstaff Next Item