Spanish-American War archive pertaining to First Lieutenant Frank W. Clements, 159th Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company D, including fourteen (14) photographic images and one (1) military commission, 15 items total. 1st item: Gelatin silver print depicting the 159th Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company D, in uniform against a patriotic banner. Surrounded by an "Our Gallant Volunteers" matte listing the name, muster information, and names of the soldiers in the regiment, including First Lieutenant Frank W. Clements, vignettes of President McKinley and the American flag, top left and right. Housed under glass in a wooden frame. Sight – 21 1/4" H x 17 1/4" W. Framed – 25 5/8" H x 21 3/4" W. 2nd item: James A. Mount, Governor of Indiana, military commission document conferring on Frank W. Clements the rank of First Lieutenant, 159th Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company D, with facsimile signatures for Governor Mount and Adjutant General of Indiana James H. Gore, dated May 13, 1898. Housed and matted under plastic in a wooden frame. Sight – 17 1/2" H x 12 1/2" W. Framed – 22 1/2" H x 18 1/2" W. 3rd-15th items: Thirteen (13) Spanish American War era photographic images, primarily cabinet cards, including two (2) depicting Camp Alger, established May 18, 1898 near Falls Church, Virginia, one (1) titled "Review at Camp Alger" and one (1) titled "Hdqrs Co D. Camp Alger". Also includes one (1) titled "Sullivan Depot" depicting several men in military uniforms waiting for a train to arrive, one (1) titled "Nick Parvens Adjutant 2 Batt. 159th Reg." depicting a group of men in military uniforms, presumably the 159th Regiment, one (1) titled "F W Clement 1st Lieut Co H." depicting three young men in uniforms, and one (1) under glass titled "F W Clements John Clements Father" depicting F W Clements in a United States Volunteers uniform. Seven (7) additional cabinet cards depicting uniformed soldiers at a campsite, possibly at Camp Alger, including two (2) depicting female visitors, and one (1) depicting a mirror copy of the Frank W. Clements under glass image. Ranging in size from 3 7/8" square to 8 1/8" H x 10 1/8" W. Note: The 159th Indiana Volunteer Infantry was formed from the 1st Regiment, Indiana National Guard. The redesignated unit was mustered for service at Camp Mount in Indianapolis on April 28, 1898. The unit was mustered into the federal service on May 12, 1898. When mustered in, the 159th consisted of fifty officers and 976 enlisted men. On May 15, the 159th (in conjunction with many of the other Indiana units) was ordered to Camp Thomas, Georgia. This camp was located on the former Civil War battlefield of Chickamauga. The unit stayed at Camp Thomas for only a brief time, being ordered to Port Tampa, Florida, on June 1. The 159th arrived at Port Tampa on June 3. Though the unit was close to the embarkation point where troops were being loaded for service in Cuba, at Port Tampa the unit's advance came to a halt. The 159th would remain in Port Tampa until August 30, when the was ordered back to Camp Mount at Indianapolis. An armistice had been agreed to on August 12, effectively ending the war's fighting. The unit was given a month's furlough, from September 10 to October 10, 1898. On November 4, the unit was mustered out of service. At this time, the unit consisted of fifty officers and 1,223 enlisted men. The war would not officially end, however, until December 10, 1898 with the signing of the Treaty of Paris. During its term of service, the 159th Indiana Volunteer Infantry lost ten enlisted men to disease and had three enlisted men desert. Additionally, eighteen men were discharged for reasons of disability. (source: http://www.spanamwar.com/159Ind.htm). CONDITION: All items overall good condition with wear, bends, foxing spots, areas of loss, etc. to be expected from age. 1st-2nd items: Waviness to paper. Not examined outside of frame.
Lot 1033: 24 Taylor/Graham Family Ephemera Items, Tennessee Previous Item Lot 1035: 2 Civil War Reunion Badges, incl. UCV FL 1913 Next Item