Harpers Ferry Model 1855 Percussion rifle – musket manufactured at the Harpers Ferry, Virginia armory in 1860. The lock has the Maynard tape primer and the magazine door is stamped with an eagle and shield motif. The barrel has a long range rear sight with a folding leaf. The iron block front sight front sight also serves as a stud for a socket bayonet. Walnut stock with iron patch box and numbers in yellow paint on stock in front of patch box “P9″(?sp). The rifle – musket retains the tulip head ramrod and has three barrel bands. The original clean out screw is also retained with the original leather strap. Lock plate is dated 1860 and “U.S. Harpers Ferry” in front of primer magazine. The top barrel flat is dated 1859. The left barrel flat is stamped with “VP” and an eagle head design inspection mark. “US”stamped on the heel of the buttplate in front of the buttplate screw. The left stock flat is stamped with an inspection mark and the barrel bands are stamped with a “U” facing the muzzle. Early crude initials “A B” carved into stock in front of buttplate. Overall length 55 7/8″, 40″ barrel length. Note – this rifle – musket descended through the family of Captain William Geary, 109th and 111th Pennsylvania Volunteers. Condition: Stock, barrel and mounts, and leather strap all retain the original surface. Light oxidation to “National Armory Bright” surface.
Lot 81: 1864 Presidential Election Ballots, total 270 Previous Item Lot 83: Ames M1860 Sword & Scabbard, William Geary Next Item