Stanocola Standard Oil Company enameled advertising sign having a bright yellow center with shield logo and bright red border, manufactured by The Baltimore Enamel & Novelty Company, also known as Balto Enameling Company. Maker’s mark en verso. Sign is mounted to the center of a hand made painted wood and metal rectangular sign with blue background and light blue border and painted white letters reading “Filling Station”. Sign – 30″ dia. Wood Filling Station sign – 19 13/16″ H x 98 1/8″ L. 1920-24. Also included with this lot is a copy of “The “Standard” Dealer” from April 1930 that includes an advertisement, as well as a check for the purchase of gasoline and a bill of lading from Standard Oil Co. of Louisiana from 1924. Provenance: According to a document written and signed by the consignor, the sign was originally displayed at general store in Tusculum, TN that was started by the consignor’s great grandfather in the late 1890’s. It was around that time that the family began a business relationship with Stanocola Standard Oil Company. The sign was taken down by the consignor’s great grandfather in 1924 and stored in the second floor of a building that had been built in 1892 and leased by the family in late 1918-early 1919. When the building was purchased by the family in 1953, the stairs to the second floor were removed during a remodeling project. The sign remained untouched on the second floor until the consignor decided to sell the property in 2010. Photos of the store outside of which the sign was displayed are included with this lot. See related lot #700. CONDITION: Stanocola button sign in excellent condition with a couple of light scratches and minimal oxidation to screw holes on outer black painted perimeter. Filling Station sign has water damage in the corners and some spotting elsewhere, lettering is clear and unmarred.
Lot 698: H. R. Poore Winchester Sign with Hunting Dogs Previous Item Lot 701: Pennzoil Enameled Advertising Sign Next Item