John Sevier (1745-1815), First Governor of Tennessee signed land grant as Governor, dated September 30, 1808 – possibly one of the earliest extant Maury County land grants. The document grants sixty three acres to Robert Neely, assignee of William P. Anderson (who was also surveyor of the land at issue). Curiously, the county is not named, but in stating boundary landmarks, the document makes reference to the Second District and to the mouth of Bradshaw's Creek. The county now known as Maury was located in Tennessee's original surveyor's second district. It is also the site of a Bradshaw's Creek, and a landowner named Robert Neely II (b. 1741, Augusta Co., VA) died in Maury County in 1830. Maury County was officially created Nov. 16, 1807 out of parts of Williamson and Davidson Counties. This document references the original land warrant dated August, 1807, suggesting the lack of a county name was due to the transitional status of the land during that early period, and the omission may have gone unnoticed when the grant was signed by Governor Sevier more than a year later. 15 1/2" H x 12 1/2" W. CONDITION: Overall good condition. Seal intact but faded; partial tears, discoloration, and small losses at fold lines; corner creases; light toning.
Lot 593: Miniature Portrait, Spotwood-Dandridge Family Previous Item Lot 595: J. Q. Adams Alabama land grant, Bible Sampler, & 2 Silhouettes Next Item