Large East Tennessee stoneware pottery 4-gallon crock attributed to Charles Frederick Decker of Washington County (1832-1914) with multiple bands of sine wave decoration and extruded lug handles. Stamped "4" two times on rim and one time below the rim to denote capacity. 11 1/8" H x 13" dia. Late 19th century. For similar crock forms, refer to "The Pottery of Charles F. Decker: A Life Well Made", Jonesborough/Washington County History Museum, p.33. Biography (Courtesy of Carole Wahler): Charles Frederick Decker was born in Germany in 1832. He arrived in Philadelphia in his late teens. Oral tradition suggests he worked at the Remmey Pottery before establishing his Keystone pottery there at the age of 25. He moved his family to Delaware for a few years and then back to Philadelphia. After 1869, Decker moved to Virginia, six miles north of Abingdon. The pottery he operated there was located on land owned by a man named Mallicote (Mallicoat). In 1872, he established his pottery in the Nolichucky River Valley near present day Johnson City, Tennessee. For a year or so he operated in both Virginia and Tennessee. He was one of a number of potters who settled in the region during the early years of Reconstruction. He named his Chucky Valley pottery the same name that he had used in Pennsylvania, Keystone Pottery. His pottery was marketed not only in East Tennessee, but also in North Carolina, Virginia, and Kentucky. Provenance: Private West Tennessee Collection. CONDITION: Overall good condition with chip to underside of one handle.
Lot 398: Southern Earthenware Monkey Jug, Dated 1866 Previous Item Lot 400: Charles Decker Stoneware Crock & S. Bell Jar Next Item