Framed large survey drawing of land belonging to R. H. Armstrong and his wife Louisa Franklin in Jefferson County, TN, dated September 1873. 41 1/4" H x 49 3/4" W overall size. Note: Robert Houston Armstrong (1825 – 1896), the brother of Adelia Armstrong Lutz, and his wife, Louisa Franklin were the first owners and occupants of the historic Bleak House, located in Knoxville, TN . Bleak House was built for the couple as a wedding gift by the bride's father, Major L.D. Franklin. The land was given to them by Drury Armstrong, Robert Armstrong's father. The Armstrongs named the house after Charles Dickens' "Bleak House" novel of the same name. The home was also used by Confederate Generals James Longstreet and Lafayette McLaws as their headquarters during the 1863 Battle of Knoxville. Provenance: Private collection of an Armstrong descendant. Condition: Overall toning. Creasing from prior folds.