Land grant dated 1790 and survey map dated 1792, concerning land in Davidson County, Tennessee, granted by governor Richard Speight and the State of North Carolina to George Walker, assignee of Private William Gipson, "in consideration of signal bravery and persevering zeal". The land, referred to in the small survey map as "Mero District," would later become known as part of Nashville. It encompassed 640 acres in the "county of Davidson on the south side of the Cumberland River on a branch of the pond lick, beginning at a cherry tree black walnut and elm marked ID J2 on an old Buffalo Trace that heads north Eastwards from Pond lick thence South…" Land Grant: 13" x 15". Survey Map: 7-1/2" x 6". Note: Davidson County, Tennessee was created by the North Carolina Legislature in 1783 in honor of NC General William Lee Davidson, who was killed in the Revolutionary War. The settlement in Davidson County, Tennessee, now known as Nashville was founded along the Cumberland River in 1779-80 by James Robertson and John Donelson. The Mero Superior Court district was established in 1788 and named by James Robertson in an effort to curry favor with the Spanish governor of Louisiana, Esteban Rodrigues Miro, who Robertson hoped might help stop attacks from the Creeks and Chickamaugas on the Cumberland settlement and open the Mississippi River to Cumberland travelers. (Miro's name was inadvertently misspelled). Andrew Jackson served as Mero's first District Attorney (source: The Tennessee Encyclopedia). Genealogical records show George Walker, born 1768 in North Carolina, married Rachel Caffery in Davidson County, Tennessee in 1790, same year of this land grant. Walker did not remain long in Tennessee, however; he sold his land to John Walker Sr. in 1795 and moved to Kentucky, where he died in 1819. Condition: Land grant has separations at fold lines, currently held together by archival tape, and two 1/2" holes. Moderate toning and light stain at lower edge. Survey map has a large loss at right corner, separations at center fold line, and a narrow 1/4" hole. The lower printed area does not contain a date or Speight's signature. Land grant is matted.
Lot 287: SC document archive, Trezevant Family, late 18th/e Previous Item Lot 289: John Overton TN Masonic Booklet Next Item