SOLD! for $885.00.
(Note: Prices realized include a buyer's premium.)
- Low Estimate: $800.00
- High Estimate: $1,200.00
- Realized: $885.00
- More Information:
For more information on this or any other item, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Share this:
Land sale document between two of Tennessee's most important early figures, Col. Hardy Murfree and Gen. James Robertson, signed by Murfree; also signed by John McNairy, one of Tennessee's first federal judges. The indenture is dated April 7, 1794, before Tennessee became a state. It records the transfer of 440 acres in Sumner County, "in the ceded territory South of the Ohio, late a part of the state of North Carolina, on the waters of Wolf Creek of the Caney Fork," from "Hardy Murfree of Hertford County and state of North Carolina" to "James Robertson of Davidson County," for a sum of ten pounds. Hardee Murfree's signature at the lower left of the page was witnessed by George Cryer, Murfree Knight, and Samuel Barton, and registered by John McNairy, the first judge of the Mero District of Davidson County (later known as Nashville. McNairy would later appoint one of his old law school classmates, future president Andrew Jackson, as attorney general of Davidson County). Col. Hardy Murfree gained fame for his heroic leadership during the Revolutionary War attack on Stony Point. After the war, he served in the North Carolina state legislature and became a charter member of the North Carolina Society of the Cincinnati. During this period, Murfree began purchasing land granted to Revolutionary War veterans who chose not to relocate to what would eventually become Tennessee. From his home in North Carolina, Murfree amassed thousands of acres in Davidson, Williamson, and Rutherford counties (the town of Murfreesboro is named in his honor). Murfree eventually moved to Franklin, Tennessee, and began work on an elaborate house reminiscent of his home in North Carolina, but he fell ill and died on April 6, 1809, before it could be completed. (source: The Rutherford County Historical Society). The Virginia-born Robertson led a group of settlers from North Carolina to Tennessee and established Fort Nashborough; he and fellow early settler John Donelson are credited with founding the city of Nashville. He was named a General by George Washington. 15 1/8" H x 11 3/4" W (approx.). Provenance: the estate of Sarah Hunter Hicks Green, formerly of Historic Devon Farm, Nashville, Tennessee. CONDITION: Document is torn fully in half at center horizontal fold, with part of the document lost as a result. Murfree's signature, however, is intact and bold with a fold across the space between his first initial and last name. McNairy's signature, likewise, is intact. There are creases and losses at the upper and lower edges; a 2" stain across Robertson's name in the lower right quadrant, and general toning.