Salem, North Carolina tall case clock, cherry primary, yellow pine secondary. Arched and molded hood with with three urn shaped finials, over an arched shaped glazed door with diamond inlay at keyhole; moon phase dial painted with moons, a castle and a ship; the face with Arabic hour and minute numerals, corners with painted conch shells. Windows on each side of hood. Eight day brass movement with hourly strike, moon dial, date, and second hand dial. Lower section with molded top and lamb's tongue chamfered sides, circular pendulum window glass, molded base and straight bracket feet. Overall height 102-1/2". Top section measures 30 3/4" H to the top of the finial, 10 5/8" D x 20 1/2" W. Lower section – 70 3/4" H x 10 3/4" D x 18 1/2" W. Circa 1800. History: Salem was founded in 1766 by the Moravians followers of a Protestant religion that began in what is now known as the Czech Republic. The Moravians were missionaries who established an earlier settlement in Bethlehem, PA before beginning Wachovia in the North Carolina backcountry in 1753. In the Wachovia Tract of nearly 100,000 acres, Salem was the central administrative, spiritual, craft, and professional town surrounded by five outlying congregations. Provenance: Private Maryville, TN collection. CONDITION: Older surface. Shrinkage crack to front base panel and waist door. Minor wear and losses to upper left corner of waist door. Crazing to paint on dial with scattered losses, primarily to the edges. Bottom board of case with breaks and losses to back half of board. Works not checked or guaranteed.
Lot 174: Southern Miniature Sheraton Chest Previous Item Lot 176: Federal Chest Attr. SC, Bonnet Drawers Next Item