East Tennessee lead-glazed earthenware creampot jar with combed sine wave bordered by incised lines, manganese "splotched" decoration on outside and inside of the cream pot. Attributed to the Cain Pottery of Sullivan County, TN. 4 1/2" H. Third Quarter 19th century. Provenance: Brad Swanson Collection, Abingdon, VA. Note: This jar was exhibited in the "Legacy in Clay: Pottery of Washington County, Virginia" 2005 exhibit, William King Regional Arts Center, Abingdon, VA. The jar is also illustrated in the "Legacy in Clay" museum exhibit catalog, page 8. Note: The use of manganese decoration on the inside and outside of a sine wave decorated form from the Cain pottery is unusual. Historical note: Recognition of the prolific Cain pottery in East Tennessee was noted in published resources as early as 1909, where in the publication "Historic Sullivan," Oliver Taylor states "Another factory which received national attention was the Cain pottery, located at Emanuel Church, and owned by two brothers, William M. and Abe Cain…It was operated about 1840 and, among other wares, souvenir jugs were made, many of which are still in existence". (Research courtesy of Dr. Carole Wahler). CONDITION: A couple of small, inconspicuous chips to rim edge. Old tight hairline rim edge to upper shoulder, approximately 2".
Lot 151: SW VA/East TN Miniature Earthenware Jar Previous Item Lot 153: East TN Earthenware Jug, poss. Cain, Exhibited Next Item