Washington County, Tennessee stoneware pottery jar attributed to Charles Frederick Decker (1832-1914). Cobalt flower decoration with five petals on both sides, cobalt ring accents around the base of the extruded lug handles and cobalt dashes between the two incised lines running below the base of the handles. Impressed "3" on top of jar rim denoting gallon capacity. 10 5/8" H x 11 1/2" dia. Biographical note: Charles Frederick Decker was born in Germany in 1832. He arrived in Philadelphia in his late teens. Oral tradition suggests he worked at the Remmey Pottery before establishing his Keystone pottery there at the age of 25. He moved his family to Delaware for a few years and then back to Philadelphia. After 1869, Decker moved to Virginia, six miles north of Abingdon. The pottery he operated there was located on land owned by a man named Mallicote (Mallicoat). In 1872, he established his pottery in the Nolichucky River Valley near present day Johnson City, Tennessee. For a year or so he operated in both Virginia and Tennessee. He was one of a number of potters who settled in the region during the early years of Reconstruction. He named his Chucky Valley pottery the same name that he had used in Pennsylvania, Keystone Pottery. His pottery was marketed not only in East Tennessee, but also in North Carolina, Virginia, and Kentucky (courtesy Carole Wahler). CONDITION: A few scattered shallow chips to the rim, otherwise overall very good condition.
Lot 149: East TN Grindstaff Double Handled Jar Previous Item Lot 151: SW VA/East TN Miniature Earthenware Jar Next Item