Grouping of three (3) 19th century documents relating to Colonel James Roddye (Roddy) (1742 – 1822) of Hamblen County, Tennessee. 1st item: Land survey of 210 acres that belonged to James Roddye, dated 1796. 2nd item: Deed giving William H. Deaderick permission to erect a mill that will involve part of James Roddy's property near Fall Creek, dated August 9, 1810. 3rd item: Indentured document signed by Thomas Roddye (son of James Roddye) and John Donelson, dated 1829. Biography: James Roddye was a Colonel during the American Revolution, serving for North Carolina. He served with distinction in the Battle of King's Mountain and was rewarded a large tract of land for his service by the Continental Congress. He also served with Captain William Bean in the Indian raids in the early history of Tennessee. He represented Jefferson County in the 1789 state senate and was one of the framers of the First Constitution of the state of TN. In 1785, he built the first house in Russellville, TN which was named the Red Door Tavern. The nearby town of Russellville is built on a tract of land awarded Colonel Roddye for his service during the Revolutionary War at the Battle of Kings Mountain – and was named for his second wife, Miss Russell. Condition: All documents having folds, overall toning and some ink bleed.
Lot 142: East TN Joseph Rhea's 1650 Bible, historical refer Previous Item Lot 144: Art & Mystery of Tennessee Furniture Book Next Item