East Tennessee redware pottery jar, attributed to the Cain pottery with sine wave incising around upper shoulder. The green glazed jar with sine wave incising is the first known Cain attributed jar glazed with with copper oxide glaze over the entire surface. Descended through the Gaines family of Sullivan Co., TN. 11 1/4" H x 8 1/2" Dia. 3rd Qtr. 19th century. Note – recognition of the prolific Cain pottery in East Tennessee was noted in published resources as early as 1909, where Oliver Taylor in "Historic Sullivan" states, "Another factory which received national attention was the Cain pottery, located at Emanuel Church, and owned by two brothers, William M. and Abe Cain . . . It was operated about 1840 and, among other wares, souvenir jugs were made, many of which are still in existence." (Research courtesy Carole Wahler.) Condition: Slight hairline near rim extends approx. 3/4 inch. One lug handle broken and missing. Some bung marks evident to rim with some firing imperfections to glaze.
Lot 136: West TN Pottery Jar, attrib. T. W. Craven Previous Item Lot 138: 2 East TN Redware jars, one sine wave, attrib. Cai Next Item