- More Information:
For more information on this or any other item, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Share this:
Virginia 18th century bookcase on bureau attributed to the Martin-Frye school of Winchester. The upper case with a broken arch scroll pediment, carved floral rosettes, applied arch string tympanum molding, and arched stop-fluted quarter columns. The lower bureau features a pull out writing surface above four graduated drawers flanked by arch stop-fluted quarter columns, resting on ogee bracket feet. Retains the original surface. Various inscriptions on the writing surface include, “Harriet swallowed a fly this morning September 29, 1848”, “C. P. Bachardson Savannah Georgia”, “Holliday Baltimore Md December 1862”, “Given to Douglas Borum July 9th 1928 by his Mother”, “Douglas Borum”, “C.J. Borum 1902 Oct 1” and various other illegible inscriptions (note: the VaGenweg.org site lists Charles and Douglas Borum as previous owners of Spengler Hall/Matin Hill). This lot also contains a handwritten journal with the inscription “July 1861 Names of the Soldiers who have called at Matin Hill”. The next two pages list various Confederate soldiers from Virginia and Mississippi regiments. Also included in the journal are various songs and poems including a “Farewell to the Star Spangled Banner” dated July 6th, 1863. Other inscribed names include “Crawford”, and “Charles OMalley The Irish Dragoon”. This is currently the only known bookcase on bureau form from the Martin Frye group. 93 1/4″ H x 42″ W x 23″ D. Provenance – Matin Hill / Spengler Hall of Strasburg, Virginia area, Shenendoah County. Condition: Retains the original surface. Glued break to upper pediment retaining the original piece, missing original finials, tympanum molding on sides of bookcase missing, retains one original brass escutcheon in left door of the bookcase, very old chip to left bookcase door near the bottom left hinge, brasses replaced with evidence of earlier sets, later key hole escutcheons, expected restoration/building up of drawer sides from wear. Retains original feet blocks and rear feet facings. Front foot facing with a 4 1/4″ H repair, 2 1/2″ repair to left foot facing.