- Low Estimate: $9,000.00
- High Estimate: $12,000.00
- More Information:
For more information on this or any other item, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Share this:
Claude Curry Bohm (b. Nashville, Tennessee 1894-d. Nashville, Indiana 1971), oil on board impressionist landscape depicting a sunny afternoon on the shore of a lake. One group of figures appears to picnic by the trees in the left middle ground, while others sit on a bench or stroll at the bottom of a slight hill, set against a wooded background. Signed "C. Curry Bohm" and titled "Radnor Lake" en verso. New cove molded giltwood frame with speckled finish and ribbon-molded rabbet edge. 14" x 19-1/2" sight, 19" x 24" framed. Provenance: acquired from a relative of the artist who received the painting as a gift from Bohm; it was reputedly painted by Bohm from his memories of family outings to Radnor Lake. Biography: Claude Curry Bohm was born in Nashville, Tennessee and grew up in New Orleans. He studied at the National Academy with Edward F. Timmons and at the Chicago Art Institute. After living and working for awhile in Chicago he moved to Brown County, Indiana in the 1930s, where he painted and taught. He also spent time painting in his home state of Tennessee, Gloucester, Massachusetts, and, in later years, Mexico. He was a member of numerous art associations and won several prizes including Outstanding Watercolor in the Indiana Artists' Club in 1945, a gold medal in 1931 in the Palette and Chisel Academy, the Frederick M. Vance Memorial Award from the Brown County Art Gallery, the Chicago Municipal Art League Prize; the Edward Rector Memorial from the Hoosier Salon; the Lawrence A. Downs Prize; the Tri Kappa Purchase Prize; Daughters of Indiana Award; and the Hoosier Salon Summer Landscape Prize. Mr. Bohm was selected by the International Business Machines Corporation for representation at the World's Fair in 1940. Note: The land now known as the Radnor Lake State Natural Area located in Nashville, Tennessee, was purchased in 1913 by the L & N Railroad as a source of water for its steam engines and livestock at nearby Radnor Yards. It also served as a private hunting and fishing preserve for L&N officials and their guests. Efforts to preserve the Radnor Lake area began in 1923 when an L&N executive stopped all hunting and fishing and declared the site a "Wildlife Sanctuary" at the request of the Tennessee Ornithological Society. It continued to be used by L& N officials and neighbors as a site for hiking, biking and skating (during the winter). When the area was purchased in the 1960s by a construction firm planning a housing development, conservationists rallied to save it, resulting in 747 acres of land being preserved as the state's first designated Natural Area and protected eco-system. (Source: www.radnorlake.org). Condition: Overall very good condition. Light pencil-like scratch mark to sky area and lower edge, 2 small scratches at far right corner, light scratch at left side.