SOLD! for $1,178.00.
(Note: Prices realized include a buyer's premium.)
- Low Estimate: $700.00
- High Estimate: $900.00
- Realized: $1,178.00
- More Information:
For more information on this or any other item, email us at: email@example.com
- Share this:
Partially printed land indenture dated Nov. 22, 1796, between "James White of the County of Knox and state of Tennessee" (Tennessee is handwritten) and "Charles Roberson of the county of Davidson and state aforesaid." The document records White's sale of 960 acres of land in Davidson County on the Big Harpeth River at the mouth of Bufford Creek to Roberson [spelled Robertson in other parts of the text] for a sum of $700, and was witnessed by James Maxwell and Robert Shannon. 16" x 13". Note: the document was signed less than six months after Tennessee officially gained statehood. White, known as the founder of Knoxville, was a Revolutionary War captain who established Fort White. He represented Knox County at Tennessee's Constitutional Convention, and shortly after the state was officially admitted, White was named Brigadier General for the newly created Hamilton district. Provenance: the estate of Sarah Hunter Hicks Green, formerly of Historic Devon Farm, Nashville, Tennessee. CONDITION: Some staining along outer edges, 3 small holes at fold lines and one small tear an inch above White's signature; fold line across signature and light fading/toning.