SOLD! for $1,770.00.
(Note: Prices realized include a buyer's premium.)
- Low Estimate: $600.00
- High Estimate: $800.00
- Realized: $1,770.00
- More Information:
For more information on this or any other item, email us at: email@example.com
- Share this:
Small East Tennessee lead-glazed red earthenware cream pot, attributed to Martin A. Cain, Cain Pottery, Sullivan County. Decorated with straight and combed sine wave incised lines. "M A C 1868" is incised on the unglazed bottom. Martin was the son of William M. Cain and a grandson of Leonard Cain. He potted with his uncle Abraham Cain. Exhibited in the Tennessee Historical Society 2011 exhibition "Tennessee Turned: Earthenware and Stoneware Made in East Tennessee 1800-1900." 3 3/4" H x 4 1/8" dia. at the top. Note: recognition of the prolific Cain pottery in East Tennessee was noted in published resources as early as 1909, where in the publication "Historic Sullivan," Oliver Taylor states "Another factory which received national attention was the Cain pottery, located at Emanuel Church, and owned by two brothers, William M. and Abe Cain . . . It was operated about 1840 and, among other wares, souvenir jugs were made, many of which are still in existence." (Description & research courtesy of Carole Wahler). CONDITION: Cream pot with one large piece broken and glued (appears to be a fairly clean break), scattered chips to the rim.